How to get to Zagori
Source: Konstantinos Vasilakis
The organizing committee of “Zagori Mountain Running” in order to facilitate athletes who are looking for rooms for the weekend of racing, informs that the Union of Tourist Business in Zagori which is hosting sponsor of the event, will provide them all the information concerning about accommodations that have availability and how much they cost.
Contact person Ms Helen Pangratiou, phone: 6944394193.
What to see
The landscape itself is a landmark,so if you choose to navigate either by foot or by car, the experience will be unforgettable. Briefly, the top points of Zagoria for you and your companions are:
Source: Konstantinos Vasilakis
- Vikos Canyon. With a place in the Guinness book as the gorge with the smallest opening in the world, Vikos Canyon is one of the most popular routes lasting about five hours. For the less adventurous, the views of the canyon from Oxia near Monodendri is simply staggering, and on the route you will find the “stone forest”, which are rocky formations of superimposed horizontal layers of stone. Even more impressive is the view of the canyon from the position near the village Beloi Vradeto .
- Panagia Spiliotissa, perched on the cliffs between Aristi and Papigo, near the banks of Voidomatis where you can walk alongside the crystal waters. It’s main feature is the wooden temple with the excellent technique.
- 40,000 items of everyday life in Zagori Folklore Museum of Agapios Tolis, in Kipi. This great folk art collection housed in three mansions. Some of the exhibits are household utensils, folk art, costumes, embroidery, kings’ photographs, various prints, a living of the 19th century and several others.
Open: Mon.-Fri. 08:30-14:00.
- More than 100 bridges in the area. Among the most important of these are Plakidas (or Kalogeriko) the only three-arched, near Kipi, and Noutsou (or Kokkorou) in Koukouli. Misios bridge between the villages of Vitsa and Koukouli and the bridge of Voidomatis, which below pass green its waters.
- The 1,240 different species of medicinal plants and herbs in the Lazaridis Museum of Flora and Fauna in Koukouli. Medicinal plants and herbs of Zagori, which was used by the famous “vikogiatrous”. These doctors of Zagori manufactured therapeutic potions from plants of the wider area of the canyon.
Open: Wednesday – Sunday
- Drakolimni of Gamila, one of three alpine lakes of the country in which you get from Small Papigo by hiking for five hours. On your way there, by making a short detour, you can admire the cave Provatina, the second deepest in the world.
- The Monastery of Agia Paraskevi (1412) in Monodendri , which is “hooked” on the edge of the gorge of Vikos.
- Natural pools (or “ovires”) in the gorge created by the narrowing of the stream Rogovou, 500 m. from Mikro Papigo. In 2 ‘ following the path you will come across the first. The natural “pools” are created by cold, running water, where you can swin and dive in the summer!
- Rogovo Monastery (11th c.) outside of Tsepelovo with gilded carved iconostasis and frescoes of 1765.
- The Rizarios Exhibition Center in Monodendri. Housed in Pantazis mansion and hosts exhibitions and events on issues related to the Balkans and Rizarios Handicraft School in Monodendri which was founded by Rizarios Church School and is a school of traditional arts (tapestry, weaving and embroidery), attended by young students of the region. The school has a production laboratory where the graduates of the school work, and a showroom where their creations are exposed for sale.
- 1,200 stone steps to Vradeto. The famous “skala” was the only way of communication between the village and the neighboring Kapesovo until 1970. The route takes 40 minutes. Other similar are that of Vitsa (connects the village with Koukouli) and that of Koukouli (connects the village with Kipi) .